- About Us
- Community Action
- Community Cooking
- Food Bank
- Healthy Beginnings & Family Support
- Education Program
- Urban Agriculture
- Food Markets
- Get Involved
- Become a Member
- Make Lunch. Make Change.
- Read the Book!
- Grow for The Stop
- The Issues
- Run an Event
- Run a Food Drive
- Join Our Online Community
- Build a Food-Friendly City
- Contact Us
The Stop is currently hiring for the following position:
(one-year contract with possibility of renewal)
The Stop began over 30 years ago as one of North America’s first food banks, and has grown into a vibrant community centre, using food as a gateway to addressing many issues, including poverty, the environment, social isolation, and health in one of Toronto’s lowest-income neighbourhoods. The Stop’s mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds health and community, and challenges inequality.
The Volunteer Program at The Stop has two key objectives: to recruit, screen, match, and place the hundreds of volunteers required to support our diverse programs and fundraising events, as well as ensure that diverse and often marginalized community members and program participants have opportunities to volunteer in a supportive environment. With such a crucial and complex role, the ideal candidate will demonstrate a unique mixture of intuition, tact, diplomacy, and humour, as well as an unflinching ability to engage in challenging conversations. The successful candidate will also be organized, strategic, resourceful, and creative, able to think and work effectively across sites, programs, and differences.
- Coordinate all aspects of the volunteer engagement cycle for all Stop programs;
- Provide ongoing assistance to program staff as they work to train and support diverse volunteers;
- Train and supervise the Volunteer Program Assistant;
- Perform a variety of administrative functions, particularly tracking volunteers and creating regular volunteer schedules for programs;
- Provide a variety of referrals to both volunteers and potential volunteers.
- Relevant post-secondary degree or equivalent experience, preferably in volunteer management;
- Minimum two years work experience in volunteer management, preferably in a social services setting;
- Demonstrated experience working with marginalized people and people of diverse cultures and abilities in a community-based setting;
- Excellent program planning, team building, and supervisory skills;
- Strong organizational and analytical skills;
- Solid conflict resolution skills;
- Adept at communicating effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including staff, community members, volunteers, donors, and supporters;
- Knowledge of and experience with food security issues and programs an asset;
- Second language (e.g. Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Vietnamese) and knowledge of the Davenport West community are assets.
Salary: $46,900/year + competitive benefits package
Hours: 37.5hours per week
Start Date: March 12, 2015
Please send your cover letter and resume by February 6, 2015, to: Hiring Committee – Volunteer Coordinator, The Stop Community Food Centre, P.O. Box 69, Stn. E, Toronto, ON, M6H 4E1 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No faxes or phone calls please.
The Stop is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity-seeking groups. We regret that only those applicants being considered will be contacted.